African Swine Fever, ASF
ASF is currently widespread in sub-Saharan Africa, Eastern Europe and the Caucasus and the Italian island of Sardinia. With the increased circulation of ASF, there is growing global concern that the virus will spread further into other parts of the planet. Any country with a pig sector is at risk, and history has shown that the disease can jump thousands of kilometres into previously free countries, mostly via meat arriving aboard aircraft and ships and then incorrectly disposed of, or meat carried by individual travelers. Of particular concern is the potential spread into East Asia. With China relying heavily on the pork industry and owning almost half of the world’s domestic pigs, an ASF epidemic would have a catastrophic impact on trade and pig production, with serious implications for global food security.
- China Says African Swine Fever Vaccine Effective in Lab Tests 03/03/2020
- African swine fever virus: The good, bad and ugly
- No hasty solutions for African swine fever
- African swine fever spreads in southern Philippines
- Greece reports first case of African swine fever
- African swine fever: disease spreading slowly in EU
Diagnostic tools & Reagents
According to OIE recommendations, both molecular tools and serlogical methods are used for ASF diagnostics. However, in urgent cases, rapid test kit and ELISA kits based on immunoassays are always favorable.
- Ringbio ASF Antigen Rapid Test Kit (C30011)
- Ringbio ASF Antigen ELISA Kit (E39011)
- Ringbio ASF Antibody Rapid Test Kit (C30021)
- Ringbio ASF Antibody ELISA Kit (E39021)
For ASF diagnostic research, choose monoclonal antibodies against ASF from antibodymall.com.
- Wikipedia, African Swine Fever.
- World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) , African Swine Fever page.
- European Food Safety Authority, African Swine Fever topic page
- USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, African Swine Fever page
- FAO Animal Health Production, African Swine Fever situation in Asia page.
- Manual on African Swine Fever for Pig Producers, by FAO,
- African swine fever: detection and diagnosis – A manual for veterinarians. by FAO, 2017
- Disinfection. African Swine Fever (ASF) by K. Gruzdev, OIE Meetings, 2016