African Swine Fever, ASF is currently widespread in sub-Saharan Africa, Eastern Europe and the Caucasus, and the Italian island of Sardinia. With the increased circulation of ASF, there is growing global concern that the virus will spread further into other parts of the planet. Any country with a pig sector is at risk, and history has shown that the disease can jump thousands of kilometers into previously free countries, mostly via meat arriving aboard aircraft and ships and then incorrectly disposed of, or meat carried by individual travelers. Of particular concern is the potential spread into East Asia.
With China relying heavily on the pork industry and owning almost half of the world’s domestic pigs, an ASF epidemic would have a catastrophic impact on trade and pig production, with serious implications for global food security.
However, due to the lack of efficient treatment and specific vaccines, the current strategy for ASF control is testing constantly and eradicate the disease eventually. In Spain and Czech, etc, ASF was already cleaned.
Diagnostic tools & Reagents
According to OIE recommendations, both molecular tools and serological methods are used for ASF diagnostics. However, in urgent cases, rapid test kit and ELISA kits based on immunoassays are always favorable.
|Product #||Product||Principle||Sample applications|
|C30021||ASFV Ag Antigen Rapid Test Kit||Lateral flow immunoassay||Serum, blood, plasma, tissue **|
|E39011||ASFV Ag Antigen ELISA Kit||ELISA||Serum, blood, plasma, tissue **|
|C30011||ASFV Ab Antibody Rapid Test Kit||Lateral flow immunoassay||Serum, blood, plasma|
|E39021||ASFV Ab Antibody ELISA Kit||ELISA||Serum, blood, plasma|
|C30021||ASFV RT-PCR Test Kit||RT-PCR molecular testing||Serum, blood, plasma, tissue, environmental samples **|
For ASF diagnostic research, choose monoclonal antibodies against ASF from antibodymall.com.
- Manual on African Swine Fever for Pig Producers, by FAO,
- African swine fever: detection and diagnosis – A manual for veterinarians. by FAO, 2017
- Disinfection. African Swine Fever (ASF) by K. Gruzdev, OIE Meetings, 2016
- Wikipedia, African Swine Fever.
- World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) , African Swine Fever page.
- European Food Safety Authority, African Swine Fever topic page
- USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, African Swine Fever page
- FAO Animal Health Production, African Swine Fever situation in Asia page.
- China Says African Swine Fever Vaccine Effective in Lab Tests 03/03/2020
- African swine fever virus: The good, bad and ugly
- No hasty solutions for African swine fever
- African swine fever spreads in southern Philippines
- Greece reports first case of African swine fever
- African swine fever: disease spreading slowly in EU
this page is prepared by Ring Biotechnology Co Ltd. The links and content above are listed for better understanding of ASF, if you think there is a conflict, please contact us.