Early diagnosis of pregnancy is of great importance in modern animal industry due to the high cost of feed and labor. Especially after artificial insemination is widely used, the earlier the pregnancy is determined, the earlier feeding plans will be performed. The general methodology to determine pig pregnancy is by observation or B-mode ultrasound scanners, either of which is not quite economic in small or middle size farms.
The gestation (pregnancy) period of the female pig is 114 days (3 months, 3 weeks and 3 days in total). She will be ready to be bred another time around 5-7 days after her pigs are weaned (removed from nursing). Thus if you wean the litter of pigs at 21 days of age she will come into estrus (heat) around 26-28 days after farrowing (giving birth).
The pig pregnancy rapid test kit utilizes the high affinity of monoclonal antibody against an estrogen marker in pigs, which can easily identify the concentration and presence of it. If the concentration is above certain number, the pig will be pregnant and if not, the pig will not be pregnant. Further measurements such as mating or AI shall be performed.
Key facts of the pig pregnancy rapid test kit
- Ready to use kits for farmers, truck drivers, etc
- Non-incubation required
- Result visible in 10min
Application of the pig pregnancy rapid test kit
This kit shall be used to test pig urine, which shall be collected within 22 to 32 days after breeding or insemination.
- Positive samples need confirmation on testing on the second day.
- Due to the limitation of the hormone tested, this kit can not detect pig pregnancy during 48-62 days.
- This kit is also not applicable for boar urine sample testing.
Pig pregnancy rapid test kit components
- Pig Pregnancy Rapid Test Strip, 50tests
- Plastic Pipette, 50 pcs
Video on how to use this Pig Pregnancy Rapid Test Kit
- Pregnancy diagnosis in pigs, Pork Gateway website
- Methods of pig pregnancy diagnosis, The Pig Site
- Can you use a human pregnancy test to test pig pregnancy? Ringbio website